Saturday 7 June 2014

The Last Airbender: Plan 9 From M. Night Shyamalan

In the year 1953, we had Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space.
In 2000, the turn of the century and a new millennium, we had Battlefield Earth, which some have dubbed Plan 9 From Ron Hubbard.
In 2005 we had Alone In The Dark, which I personally dub Plan 9 From Uwe Boll.
Finally in 2010 we were treated to the latest train wreck, The Last Airbender, which I personally nickname Plan 9 From M. Night Shyamalan.
All four of the movies above are considered to be the worst movies of all time, with three of them respectively based on a book, a popular series of video games, and an anime series aired on Nickelodeon subject to univeral acclaim and with strong fanbase.
Unfortunately it seems bad movies just keep on coming. Why? Because those fat-head movie executives just wouldn't read the script and study the source material before greenlighting the movie. And believe me when I tell you that Uwe Boll's movie Alone In The Dark, doesn't bother me any more as I have watched the movie repeatedly and am not a fan of the games it was deeply poorly based on. But since I've watched the anime, Avatar: The Last Airbender, a.k.a. Avatar: The Legend of Aang, and am now very much familiar with it, I cannot watch this theatrical abomination without shedding tears and bawling in anguish. It simply destroys all expectations of every fan of the series: if the show was excellent, so must this movie be astounding.
I loved the show: the art, the cultures, the special effects, the evolution of the story, the plot, the characters and their development, and above all, humour! I could get it all from this show. But not from this movie! No way, even though it does offer special effects! Watching this movie is the ultimate heart-stopper! You would regret wasting 90 minutes of your life after this torrid experience, and you will get no refund for it. I would be better of watching Walt Disney's Inspector Gadget of 1999, Super Mario Bros. of 1993, Street Fighter of 1994, or even Dragon Ball Evolution of 2009, but not The Last Airbender! Any fan of the Avatar series (let me remind you I am not referring to James Cameron's Avatar!) would warn you against this movie; I'd do the same for your own good.

No comments: