Friday 5 September 2014

Conan The Barbarian (2010)



I watched this movie on DVD and I was completely thrown off at a tangent. I have never read the book and so cannot be certain if this movie is in line with the source material, but even if I were to watch it I would be completely bored by its sequence of events and redundant dialogue. So reviewing this title will be a very difficult task.
What character in this movie would you take seriously? None, in my case. These actors are just in it for their paycheck, not to develop their character. When they read the script they probably had no idea it would be the undoing of their careers. Thud they just displayed almost no passion for their roles on screen, rendering the whole flick utterly mediocre.
The prologue is a promising starter, but when it cuts to the field of battle all hell breaks loose indeed. A woman gives birth on the battlefield--among the fighting! She names him Conan before dying. This scene is a beginning to a cataclysm.
You may notice some shaky camera work in the course of this film, not to mention dark shades encroaching on certain scenes. I expected advanced photography in the year of high definition, and I have seen some structures that are almost entirely hard to see on screen. Is this a B-movie or what? Why have such poor lighting?
As with the beginning, there are battles that come up almost instantly and frequently. They are bloody and gory, even for the young preteen Conan. I have witnessed scenes where blood is excessively shed, even if the violent scenes are not likely to cause such bloodshed in real life. Make note of a scene where Conan cuts off some guy's nose--did the actor really lose his nose in the film and then reattach it afterwards?! I was horrified! And watch out for animal cruelty, where a chain is yanked to dislodge a horse.
Am I the only one who has a very hard time trying to learn the names of every character in this movie? It appears that the volume in this movie is uneven: either the score drowns out the dialogue, or you can barely hear the characters speak coherently. In fact if this were in the cinema, the loudness would render the audience completely deafened. It would make one completely lost in this movie and fail to keep up with the progress of the story.
I rarely watch this movie, and I would not recommend it to anyone who has read the book. I prefer to only watch it for review as it is not worth the $90 million it was budgeted on.

No comments: